05 February 2009

Though the sun shone, She only saw the rain.

"Did you know I was a dancer before all this?" she paused. "Did you also know it was the first thing I told myself I couldn't regret?... Though, to my everlasting shame, I, on some level do." She spoke staring out the window, with longing in her eyes. "This life of mine, so far, has amounted to few regrets. Each of them greater than I thought possible. But giving up dance..." She spoke at the room now, though Amber was the only other person in it. "That is my greatest loss in life. The one thing That I wish someone who knew; would have stopped me from. All my other regrets I must bear on my own. For I was the only one in those secrets. But dance was my TRUE love, my true joy. And now; will always be my true pain to think of." She turned back to the window. A single tear ran down her cheek slowly. "It's not too late, is it?" Amber asked from behind her. Vanessa turned toward her friend and showed a light of wondering in her eyes, and raised her brow. "I mean, you are still rather young..." Amber came across the room towards her. "I guess it's not possible that you could become any great master now, but you could still take it up again. Couldn't you?" Vanessa had turned back towards the window, seeming to consider the provocation of this. "You mean; take it up as say, exercise or for leisure?" Though it was more of a statement than a question. "I suppose. Yes." "No doubt I've thought of that. But a few of the factors which played in when I initially gave it up still hold true today. I haven't the means to do it. Sure I've got the drive, but not the money to take a class, my age doesn't really merit that anyway. A private tutor would be completely out of the question as far as finding the finances and I haven't got the space." She'd turned from the window and walked towards the sofa. She stood there a while fidgeting and finally turned back to the window. Amber just listened to her in silence. When she finally spoke, her voice was quite and defeated. "You've covered all of the angles then, have you... given up completely?" "What else is there to do?" She sat on the sill now. "You could take more proactive measures. Isn't it you who're so in love with your library and all of those ways you can find your own knowledge and teach yourself? Now, I don't know about specific spaces and all that, but don't you think you should try a little harder?" Amber was obviously mad. But it seemed it could hardly be due to this context of which they now spoke. "I'm sorry, but you've resigned yourself to this regret too easily. If it bugs you so much; get off your ass and do something about it. I don't know specifically, about what else you speak, but you can't just sit around and wallow in your regret. If it truly bugs you that much, do something about it!" She paused to catch her breath and calm herself. "Now look what you've done." She added in a more playful tone. "You've gone and made me start repeating myself." She attempted a smile at Vanessa, who now looked at her hard. "It's true what you say. I shouldn't 'wallow' as you kindly put it, in my regrets and miseries. But some things you just can't change." She got up from the sill and slowly moved across the floor in the direction of the door then faltered halfway there. "I guess that's why I had decided I wouldn't regret anything. Thought it'd be easier... It wasn't, I just made stupid decisions and hated myself without saying I'd wish I could take it back." She continued forward again. "My you talk like someone well beyond your years. One might think you'd already lived your entire life." Vanessa stopped and turned in the doorway. "Well, 21 was a very eventful year." She smiled and left the room. Amber sighed, then turned on her heels and went out the opposing door.

No comments: