24 July 2010

In Person-

"I shared my Fecking bed with you!" She always tried to lighten the mood when she was furious, while still spouting her anger. It didn’t work very well. All I could do was stare at her expressionless. Tears began to brim in her eyes. I felt nothing. When she continued; her voice shook. "I gave you all I had, and more than I ever thought I would." She paused again, seemingly to collect her thoughts, looking away. "I let you in. I don’t let anyone in. But I believed the promises you told." She glared into my eyes for a moment before letting out an exasperated sigh. "I can’t believe I was so foolish." She waved her arms about, like I was unable to fathom what she was saying. "Of course this would happen. All boys lie." The tears had begun to stream down her face. I could only look at her, now with a slightly pained expression.
"I never meant to hurt you." I said firmly, but quietly.
"Yeah." She rolled her eyes at me. "And I suppose you never meant for us to fornicate either." 
"I didn’t." I could feel the anger rising in me as she reacted. I clenched my teeth to keep from yelling at her stupidity. 
"Right." She folded her arms across her chest and looked through me.
Through my clenched teeth, trying to sound calm: "I thought it would work. But it won’t." I said enunciating each word. She focused for a second casting an evil glare at me, then averting her eyes again. "I am truly sorry for hurting you. But I feel I am doing the right thing." I was starting to feel the pain I had buried before coming here and confronting her. She turned from me. 
"Whatever." She said meekly. "Just go. Go be happy. Be happy with someone else." I could see she was no longer open to discussion, and I had said my piece. I’d told her my heart wasn’t in it. It was not my problem she didn’t want to believe it. I truly had never meant to use her. 
As I walked past her I could see the tears streaming down her cheeks and a part of me wanted to console her. As I shut the door behind me I could hear her break down and cry. But I could not turn back. The damage was done.

No comments: