15 January 2010

Happily forever after, for a night.

What is forever? What happens in ‘happily ever after’? Nothing? No, life still happens after the curtain’s drawn. Life during ‘Happily ever after’ is a struggle… ‘Happily ever after’ implies that we already know what will happen. They are happy for the rest of their lives together… I don’t think that happens very often. 50%+ of marriages in the USA these days end in divorce. This begs us to ask the question. Were these people spending too much time contemplating the fairy tale, and not enough preparing for ‘ever after’? Did they consider ‘ever after’ at all during the fairy tale? What if the story’s not a fairy tale? What if it’s a drama? Or a tragedy? One could only hope for a romantic comedy… and we pray it’s not a thriller, or horror…

I’ve mentioned before that I look forward to that struggle that is ‘happily ever after’. The journey may be long, but didn’t someone say; getting there is half the fun. And half the battle. The thing about the battle though… the thing is… one person can’t accomplish too much in that battle, if they’re the only one fighting. One person can’t fight enough to power a struggle for two. This fact scares me. I’ve been in just friendships where I was the only one working at it. And that’s just friends. Has to be one of the most frustrating things ever. We never worked together with a common interest at heart. It was more of a ‘yep, I’m bored… I’ll pass my time with you sitting here.’ But that’s not really a friendship I feel. Yes, that can happen in friendships, but there is a push and a pull. And being a bump on the furniture, or someone to drink with, so you’re not drinking alone, is not enough to be building. I’m not sure what tangent that is…

I have gotten off topic yet again. And once again; I’ve even confused me. Let me restart on another note :

Is there a one and only for everyone? For anyone? Is it possible that we can make the correct decision the first time? Can I find forever? Will I know it when I see it? Will it be willing to work with me? Will forever want to be ‘happily ever after’? Or is forever just a one night stand? Hypothetically speaking of course.

No comments: