02 July 2012

Creating Characters Based on Pictures

Sometimes I have great ideas. Sometimes I just feel like being creative, but cannot find an outlet. Sometimes, I have no idea how to motivate myself to do/be what I would like to. Sometimes I wonder why I can't sleep, if I'm not going to be able to be productive if I stay awake. So I'm going to try and put this insomnia to use right now. It is after 2am, and I'm going to put together a character. I've decided to form/mold/create a character for an RP I'm going to be a part of. However, I don't even know where to start. Developing their personality takes time and precision, and you have to know where you're going before you start off with these sorts of things, or your character will change part of the way through and everyone will be like: who is this?! Generally, for these sorts of characters, I first find an image to stem my inspiration from. Most RP's I've been a part of have called for an appearance, and a photo/drawing/image of some sort is the easiest way to go about this. I have, on a number of occasions found an image via Google Search and photo-shopped it to look just right. Why? Because while I'm looking at images, I'm ruling out some and considering others, so before an image is even found, the character is being developed. Then you need to find a personality that exudes those traits you've now founded in your head and then combine the two and create something fantastic... or not so fantastic; however you're inclined. After all of this though, a name needs to be chosen. I like to give my names meaning, or choose names with meaning rather, but then the names of all of my characters turn out sounding foreign or old or just plain strange. But then again, I don't really care for everyday names... not that they're bad, I just don't want my characters named them... Unless of course, everyday is what we're going for. After we have a name we actually develop their personality through either a personality section or a biography section, or both. Yes, these are both usually rather short, I don't think I've every written more than a paragraph for each. But because they're so short, each word that goes into it, must have meaning and, for me at least, the ideas presented have so much more background implied in them than is needed to be said. The worst thing about this process is: You put all of this time and energy into creating your perfect character for the given plot and then you have to wait until you can use it. Worst case scenario; the RP's never started and your character lingers in a feed to get passed over until it's forgotten and never used. To avoid this; I save all of my characters for future use. This has come in handy a time or two. I'm sure the characters appreciate it. 

No comments: