08 March 2011

Where have all the books gone?

I saw the most depressing thing today. Every once in a while, less than once a month, my mother and I go to visit a new library. Today; we decided to visit a few in the Riverside (city) system of branches. The first was cute, the second was disappointing, the third was terrible. We walk into this beautiful and fair sized building, the carpets are clean it's mostly quiet, and there's SO much room. There were 69 computers set up for public use in the adult section, there were computers set up in the children's section. On the opposite wall from the entrance was the Friends of the library books for sale thing. There was a television next to a bunch of chairs and couches, and another at the other end for the children. Both tv's were on. The only thing lacking in this library was books. The only books I saw were along the walls, in mostly empty book shelves. And on the about 5 book shelves in the children's section. It was more like an Internet cafe without coffee. There was no selection of books. How can it be called a library? Does NO ONE read anymore?
Generally I frown upon tv's in public to begin with. I don't like them to be in my restaurants, let alone fast food. Maybe a sports bar... otherwise; tv's belong at home. NOT in a LIBRARY. I'm a little upset. I had to leave before I cried. I have lots of opinions about this non-library, and it's connections to the deterioration of America. Don't even get me started on Online shopping; another experience I had the night before.
The fourth library we went to was beautiful. And the last library was ultra fancy and well used.

No comments: